Sunday 16 May 2010

Lancashire Track Championships 2010 Day 1

Last week, I competed in my two main events: the 1500m & the 3000m, in the Lancashire Track Champs at Blackpool. My goal for the championships was to secure two pbs, and if all went well, to gain two medals, and I achieved both these objectives.

My first race was the 1500m on the Saturday, and this wielded an unusually large field when compared to the normally depleted under 17 race, with a total of sixteen runners toeing the start line.

The field was drawn out from the off by my Lancaster team mate Beau Smith, who was aiming to dip under the ES qualifying time of 4.08, and by the end of the first lap, we were all in single file. With every lap, Beau increased his already massive lead, and I continued to hold on to 3rd place, sitting on the shoulder of Chorley Runner Luke Betts.

As we approached the last lap, my legs felt like lead, and I could really feel the lactic weighing me down, and at the same time, I could see Luke pulling away! When I finally reached the finishing straight, I put in a mad dash for the line, but with Luke some 25m ahead by this point, I was fighting a losing battle, and although I decreased the gap slightly, he still finished in silver medal position, with a time of 4.13, with me 4 seconds behind in 4.17.

On reflection, I suppose it was a good achiveiment for me, as I beat me preveious best time by 2 seconds, however I know that if I had not gone with the early fast pace, and had set my own rhythm, I could probably have run faster still!

No comments:

Post a Comment